I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What to do When You Don't Want to Run

I feel pudgy.
I ate ate/drank too much.
I didn't eat/drink enough.
My favorite running shorts aren't clean.
The dishes need washed.
I work today.
I don't work today and I want to "relax."
It's cold.
It's raining.
It's hot.
It's dry.
The trail/track is sooo busy this time of day.
My stomach hurts.
My head hurts.
Something on my body hurts, right?
It's too early.
It's too late.
I am tired.

I don't want to run.
blog.kidville.com


Oh, the list. It could go on, no?
Pretty pitiful when I type it out and am able to look at all the excuses I know I've used before to get out of a run or workout.

Now, listen, there are definitely times that running or working out should not happen. If you are sick, injured, etc. then resting is crucial. But, more often than not, many of us tend to turn itty bitty ant hills into gigantic volcanoes in order not to move.

Maybe you are reading this and think, "this girl is LAZY, she just needs to tell herself to get out there, it is for her health, no questions asked." I AGREE. But, I am not perfect. If you are one of these amazingly dedicated people, please come run with me? Kick my butt. 

And, if you are like me, well, this is too common sometimes. To be completely honest, when I graduated and my gym membership ended and it got "too warm" I suffered in my dedication to being physical...And, then I went on to wonder where 10 extra lbs. came from, huh.

So, These past 2 weeks have been my entrance back into a stronger Allison. My husband is running a half-marathon with me, encouragement enough, but on top of that I signed up for a second half in November and got a new and better gym membership along with a trusted gym buddy who is not there to talk (get it?)...

I have my work cut out for me, let me tell you. Those 10 lbs. may have gotten frisky and turned into a few more, so weird right, because I was working out and eating perfectly, ha. ;)

But, not to be a Debbie (downer)...this is a positive post. It is never too late to get back on the bandwagon. I find myself falling into the trap of, if I mess up really bad for a day or two I hate myself. This is not how it needs to go. Even yesterday I beat myself up for eating, officially, 3 desserts in one day. Sure, I ran 7 miles, but that does not mean you need to eat back all those calories...especially with sugar.

I vow I will never cut out treats and "fun food" nor Jake and I's tradition of pizza and movie Monday's. For me, that is not realistic. What is realistic is getting back into caring about my health, inside and out. I know for a fact, that personally, I feel better when I am active and my "relaxing times" feel so much more worth it when I know I am leading a healthier lifestyle.

Plus, it doesn't hurt that I burn more calories so that candy with a side of fro-yo sorta cancels out...right?

Go get em'

3 comments:

  1. Love your post Allison and this is something that I think is a constant struggle for most. I tend to just remind myself - I like myself so much better when I'm done with the workout, and then if I think about those times, when I like wearing my cute clothes or dressing up and looking nice...then I am much more motivated to finish/start the workout. Thanks for the boost and hope your training, etc. goes well :) - Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, thank you both, for reading this! You don't know how much it warms my heart that people take time to read my words :)
    I am so glad you were both able to grab something from this, it is something I have always and might always struggle with, but I hope to turn struggle into growth.

    Thank you again girls :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...