I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Monday, September 17, 2012

I don't feel like running so I'm writing this instead...

Good Morning,

Yes, I should have been on my run, oh let's say, atleast 45 minutes ago. I promise I am still going, I just wanted to procrastinate some. I was up late working on a paper- that's a legit reason right? I do only have a short run scheduled today (under 4), so I hope I just enjoy the time before my day starts to get crazy.

I thought I would share a "recipe" (I hesitate to call it that because it's pretty simple) that I threw together the other night for dinner. It is a light verison of a chicken enchilada casserole and the ingredients used can defintiely be skewed to your liking or with what is available.

Lighter Chicken Enchilada Casserole:


Serving Size: 4 (maybe 5, depending on how hungry everyone is)
Prep Time: (including baking the chicken) 1 hr.
Cook Time: 15 minutes

2-3 large chicken breasts baked (I baked them for about 45 minutes)
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 red pepper chopped
A couple chiles (only add as much spice as you like!)
1 can green enchilada sauce
1/2-3/4 box of Ronzoni Smart Taste pasta, prepared
1/2 cup shredded cheese (we used a combination of Mexican and mozzarella cheeses)
6-8 Ritz crackers

Preheat oven temperature to 380 degreees.
After chicken is fully cooked and shredded into fine pieces, prepare noodles as directed on box. Place first layer of noodles (about 1/2) in bottom of square casserole dish, add 1/2 onions, red peppers, green peppers, chiles, and chicken pieces. Pour 1/3 of the enchilada sauce onto the first layer. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients for two layers total. Once finished layering, add the shredded cheese evenly to the top of the casserole. Crumble the crackers and spread over top layer. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crackers are browned.

 The sauce softens the peppers and onions just enough and although it is a messier dish it  tastes delicious! It was also nice to have a non-creamy enchilada casserole (we wouldn't turn these down either though), and even with the lighter taste it kept us full for a long time. Hope you enjoy :)

I promise I am going to go run now...really.

xoxo

(PS: yes, in that second photo, that is a cupcake back there- my husband's. And, yea, it was eaten before dinner...I refused to crop it out)

1 comment:

  1. So glad you posted this!
    I remember seeing one of your enchilada casserole dishes on FB and wishing I had the recipe. Awesome.. gonna try it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...