I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Long Run and...Cookies!

Last time I left you I was having hip issues- mmm I sound super awesome...and I was feeling out the rest of my runs that week. I ended up doing a few shorter runs= nothing over 4 miles, and took this past Sunday off.
 
Saturday was the most beautiful, it's almost fall sort of day! I ran in the morning to skies that were a gorgeous mix of bright blue, puffy clouds, and storm looking colors all mixed together. That afternoon Jake (hubby) and I went with my mom to the farmer's market and local bakery. We walked...so when we ended up buying squash, cucumbers, corn, scones, cookies, apples, tomatoes, and doughnuts our upper body workout for the day was done :) We also got some burgers from a local farm here in NW Ohio and they were delicious. I hadn't eaten red meat in a while and it filled me up more than I expected, but of course I found the room to eat that AND a doughnut for lunch.
 
(They turned out super chunky and thick! Yum.)


We had a fall- type of arts festival this past weekend that is super neat and so all of these autumn inspired activites got me in the mood to bake! I just went off a basic oatmeal cookie recipe I knew and made some fun changes along the way to create...Raisinet Walnut Oatmeal Cookies (or I guess I could call them C.R.O.W. cookies, but that doesn't sound very sweet). Here's the recipe and nutritional info:
 
Number of Servings: 40

Tips:
If possible chill dough for 1 hour before baking.

Ingredients:


    1.5 cups whole wheat flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1-2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1.5 cups quick oats
    2 tblsp canola or vegetable oil
    2 medium sized eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    6 tblsp butter
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    165 grams/ 1 cup [organic] raisinets- this kind was on sale ;)
    1/2 cup walnuts chopped
Directions:
Combine dry and wet ingredients separately, mix together, fold in raisinets and walnuts, roll into medium sized balls, bake for 9-11 minutes at 375 degrees.

Yields: 40 cookies.  
 
Nutritional Info
Amount Per Serving:  
  • Calories: 98.8
  • Total Fat: 4.6 g
  • Cholesterol: 12.9 mg
  • Sodium: 114.9 mg
  • Total Carbs: 14.8 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 1.2 g
  • Protein: 1.8 g
(And, sugars are less than 6 grams)

PS: Thinking of adding ground flax seed for some extra punch and maybe coconut next time! 

The day I made these I ate two...not so bad right? Well, I also tested the dough, several times. They are safe to eat I determined all on my own. Thankfully, the next day was a scheduled long run.

Yesterday I woke up thinking I would shoot for 4.5-5 miles, as I am training for a ghost 10k (ghost meaning there isn't one that actually exists in my log book yet, but it has been a goal of mine to be able to run this distance). It was another beautiful, cool morning and after a breakfast of my favorite kashi cereals (I'm a mixer) and pb toast I set out on my normal path. About 1.5 miles into my run I decided I wanted to go where I wanted to go and not on the same old route. I ran through some neighborhoods, past my parent's house, and onto a country road (don't worry, there were still groupings of houses out there). I was having a little trouble with some cramping, but I said a prayer and asked the Lord to ease my anxieties and help me to enjoy this time with Him. I came back into town and was feeling really great. I made a loop in my parent's neck of the woods and ran back home where I made one more loop around my streets. When I routed my run later I realized I ran 6.5 miles :) On my computer this number looks small, but when I saw it on my odometer I giggled like a little kid. Just to know that I CAN do it was so encouraging. I credit God in giving me that peace of mind and strength to accomplish this goal.

I have eaten more cookies...but I definitely did not run that far again today. Today was a cross-training and walking day- my knee bruised up a little so I am being a smidge careful. Tomorrow is a 4-mile run outside and it is supposed to be a pretty day again. I have some backlogged food posts waiting to happen so look for those in the next few days.

Have a blessed day, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...