I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Early Spring Break

So, I had bronchitis. I forgot how much of a bully it can be. And, I have to be honest with you...my last run was LAST Monday (the 8 miler). I did yoga one day and walked here and there, but I really just took off a week+

Milk chocolate and yellow cupcake
with cream cheese frosting topped
 with dark chocolate chunk and a blueberry.
I struggled with this, not only did I miss the activity, but I was anxious about losing my momentum, speed and distance work, and my overall fitness (especially with those extra few lbs. hanging out after I told them to leave the party). Therefore, later today, I am going to make my triumphant huffing and puffing return to the gym. There is some ice outside so I am not going to chance that (plus I do not want the cold to mess up my chest again). I went by a "rule" or guideline I heard once from a runner..."If you are sick above the throat, like congestion, it will be quicker and safer to jump back into training, but if your infection is in the chest area then give it the time it needs to recover." Whether or not this is true, I somewhat followed it. My husband, who I always listen to and never give attitude....also strongly advised me to just relax, rest, and take off as much as I needed. Therefore, I probably sat around too much, ate too much fun food, and thought too much about feeling guilty. My lesson to you: do not go this route. Yes, I am on spring break and I do want to indulge some, but I  also don't want to feel that nagging guilt either. That is why I say eat your cravings in due time, when you know you will enjoy them, no restriction just smart choices...and a few iffy ones here and there.

I am going to start slowly back in with my running, probably just a slow paced (9+ min/mile) 3 miles, some incline walking, and then about 15-20 minutes between the elliptical and stair-climber. I have two volleyball games later tonight so I don't think I will be lifting legs or arms today as I know I will be sore from the non-usage.

I hope you listen to your body, what it needs, and when to let it rest...and when to push it! Happy training, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...