I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Why Pacing is Crucial and Mind Over Matter is Not Just a Corny Idea

Long title, right? But, I couldn't center my normally "catchy" cheesy inner-self. Therefore this post will be on exactly the two topics listed above. 

A little background info first. I usually do my long runs on Mondays since that is my day off during the week. This past Monday my lazy bum did not get out of the house until almost lunch time to run. It was already hot and the humidity was awfully angry that day. I hadn't drank enough for a long run and the food I ate wasn't especially helpful for running in heat. I decided to run out on some country roads surrounding our city and hope that would distract me enough to finish the workout I had scheduled. I did the best I could with being respectful to the drivers; getting over as far as possible, hopping into the grass when cars were coming both ways, and just overall being aware of what was happening around me. There was only one vehicle that the driver gestured their hands at me and wouldn't budge- I felt their A/C they were so close ;)

Anyways, my psychological trick of new surroundings as a distraction lasted all of 2 miles. By the time I stumbled through mile 3 I stopped at an old cemetery to walk a bit and cool down. I checked my Garmin, and was angry about my pace. This is probably the only time I will be upset about a faster pace. I had been running 8:30/8:40 min/miles when I should have been going much slower for the conditions and distance I had planned. After my immaturity ceased, as much as it was going to, I trudged along down another country road and into my parents' neighborhood. I admit, I stopped at 5 miles that day and grabbed a ride home from my brother; that is right, I didn't even walk home. This is why those little reminders to eat properly, hydrate more than you planned to, and practice pacing is extremely important. I know I still pushed myself with the heat and wind yelling at me the whole way, but I also did NOT complete my goal for the day. 

PS: (The next day I ate burgers and about a pound of fries...way to wrangle it in Allison. But, they were delicious)

Now, onto the "mind over matter" portion. Since I did not do my long run for the week I wrote down on our calendar that I would make it up on Wednesday. After a sketchy week of running last week and my less than superb run on Monday I set a goal of 8 miles (2 miles less than what was scheduled). Then came Wednesday morning...I could not breathe out of my nose, I was coughing, and I woke up at 5 a.m. just because my body was teasing me. I knew I was still going to go running, but shew whee did I fight it. I got up and washed my face, took some allergy medicine, and ate breakfast. I let myself drink my water slowly and let my food digest before changing into my running clothes. My husband had to be at work at 7 a.m. so it was perfect timing to get myself out the door too. I walked longer than normal to my route so my body wouldn't get pooped right away and it felt good to breathe in as much morning air as I could. 
Courtesy of Jerry Anderson f.b.

I started off at a warm-up pace (9:45 min/mile) for the first mile and then settled into my overall pace of about 9/9:18 min miles. I purposely put on my playlist that included some awesome music, with artists like Brandon Heath, Tenth Avenue North, Jars of Clay, and many others. It was a mix of great mood music, inspiring lyrics, and some higher paced beats. I was smiling! That's right, after not wanting to go and just stay in bed with my tissues, my run was helping my body and mind feel better. I told myself when I began to run I would have a goal of 4 miles. When I got to mile 2-3 I knew I could do better than that for myself. I knew I had to at least complete the 8 miles I had written down; and I did so plus another mile, some walking later on, and rollerblading with Jake that night. I know giving my run over to the Lord made the difference. He gave me the strength I needed to accomplish this goal and enjoy it also. God blessed me with beautiful surroundings and a quiet morning to let go of all insecurities and anxious feelings. I asked for the will to be able to do this run and God not only blessed me with that but also an attitude change. I even texted my "running mentor" afterwards to share the great news. I hope all runners experience this on their own level and are thankful for such a unique gift. 

Therefore, whether you run, walk, bike, stroll, skate, or any other activity- your mind is more powerful than even your body, and that is up to you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...