I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pump Up Your Run

I have been avoiding intervals outside for a long...long while now. I have been consistently sticking to the dreadmill to get these workouts done.

But, for some reason, I felt like it was time yesterday to end this weak spell.

Since I ran 7 miles last Thursday I am pushing my long run to this Thursday, so I put 4-5 miles on my schedule yesterday. I was grumbling during my warm-up, feeling kinda bored with my usual run. So, 3 minutes into it I decided to sprint. Well, I got tired, so I slowed down...and there you have the start of my intervals.

The first 2 miles were great, the third mile was HARD. First, because I was running hard and my body was starting to feel it, and second, because I had done some strength workouts in between miles 1 and 2.

It went like this:

2 miles of 400 m intervals (sub 7min/mile and 10min/mile+ recovery pace)

20 walking lunges
10 standing bicycles
10 front squats/ static sumo squat/ jump squat                                                  
10 push-ups

X3

1 mile 400 m intervals

20 walking lunges
10 kicking bicycles (single leg kick; opposite arm to opposite leg)
10 squats 
10 push-ups

X3

2 miles at average pace (mine was 9:10ish)


walking/stretching cool down for 10 minutes


Ta-Da! 

Honestly, the last 2 miles felt like a 'breeze' after the sprints and strength workouts.
And, of course, you can personalize this more to your likes/dislikes and your focus for that session.

Enjoy (seriously), and get out there!



PS: for a "how-to" on different kinds of squats check this site out: Jillian Michaels squat workout guide




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...