I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

When to Keep Moving

As you saw, I was sick over Labor Day weekend. Not too bad, just a nasty sinus infection, but enough to keep me from running.

So, thinking I was all good to go, and feeling a bit plump, I went out for a run on Monday.

I went in the heat of the day, not so smart, and mixed with healing from the congestion I was a running mess.

I walked the first mile (an actual smart decision on my part, I'll take it!) and then began my run.

shutupandrun.net
I was so frustrated because my pace was slow and I kept having to take walking breaks. It is unnerving to have completed a half-marathon at a pace you thought your body was not capable of to then not be able to finish 3 miles without stopping. 

I was feeling angry and prideful and anxious. I kept thinking, how in the world am I going to run 13.1 miles in a month, let alone beat my old PR. Well, I threw that out the window, but for good reason. Yes, I will run/jog those miles to the best of my ability, but Jake and I made a pact to treat this as a fun run. We will run at an easy pace and just enjoy the whole experience, plus it's his first one! I can worry about my time at another race in the fall :)

Anyways...

After such a rough day on Monday, I got back out on Tuesday when the weather was beyond ideal. I was still feeling slower than I thought I should be and so I ran my first mile WAY too fast and was already somewhat fatigued (I had 6 miles set to complete). So, I made myself slow down and not stop. That's right, after those first 2 iffy miles, I was not allowing myself to take any walking breaks, unless for water.

And, that's just what I did. I resumed my normal "longer run" pace of 9:15 and it felt good. It also burned in my chest and I almost took that as needing to stop, but I knew better. I knew I could do this, I knew I had control over my breathing (as loud as it might be), and I knew I would complete my goal. 

I did not stop until I reach 5.5 miles (I had gotten over-zealous and ran the last mile sub-9/min.) so I was a little winded, but I felt good. I finished out 6.2 (10k) miles and kept it at my goal pace. I have not felt proud of pushing myself like that in a long time.

This is one of those moments, when it is good to push through. This is one of those moments when you need to mentally change your attitude and know this is possible.

I will finish that half-marathon, dang it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...