I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Goodness Gracious Day

It was a day where I found myself saying "goodness gracious" several times. I got up early this morning to run and go to the gym. I wanted to work on upper body strength today so I thought running on the treadmill would be fine. I ended up doing a 45 minute tempo run with an average speed at 9 min/mile and got in 5 miles. But, someone was on my favorite treadmill when I got there. I am sick right? Seriously though, there is one treadmill that never has broken down, doesn't tilt or shake or anything- it is my favorite. We have grown together :)
 
Anyways...I also did some stair climbing, upper body, and core work. All in all it was a successful work out and I got done just in time to run home, eat a little something, and get ready for class. Right after class I rushed back to take Monroe out and try not to scarf down lunch before I went to a doctor's appointment this afternoon. Then came grocery shopping, then came prepping for tonight's dinner (chicken nachos- with whole grain tortilla chips, cheese, salsa, baked chicken, and fresh guac, mmm), then finally came homework. I was supposed to attend a study with Jake tonight, but I decided to "let" him go solo  since I have our final night of tournaments later. *Update: Our volleyball team has made it to the third and final round of tournaments!* Therefore, today has been busy. What better way to wind down then with some peanut butter...with a side of apples, and a scrumptious recipe for pumpkin cookies. I have been making these for several seasons now and my family and friends love them. Of course the recipe is tweakable, but this is the original I use. Also, making your own frosting is definitely an option which I have done before, but I prefer (and so does everyone else) cream cheese frosting- good ol' Duncan Hines or B. Crocker will do :)
 
Enjoy!
 
Iced Pumpkin Cookies (adapted from allrecipes.com user Gina)
 
2 1/2 cups all purpose or white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg                                                                   
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon (or less) salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar (or 1 cup white 1/2 cup brown sugar)
1 cup canned pumpkin puree (I use Libby's)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, mix. Combine wet ingredients, mix. Carefully pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir thoroughly. The dough is very sticky so use two spoons to drop rounded cookie dough balls onto lightly greased baking sheets (medium sized cookies are best with this recipe). Bake for 11-14 minutes.
Let cool then ice with desired frosting. EAT :)
 
They are also delicious without frosting and with coffee, whatever you prefer!

I have to be corny for a minute or two. Yesterday, I skipped running in the morning and just did Pilate's because Jake said he would run with me later. I was excited to say the least. We went out about 5:30, just as the sun was beginning to lower. The bright rays on the fall colors and the crisp air was already getting me giddy and then to have my husband there was fantastic. We ran around a neighborhood close to ours, through a wooded park, and back home. We walked a few times (Jake hasn't been running consistently and just started, so very understandable). I did one more loop around our place before I went in for a total of 4 miles. I was so impressed by him and so happy to have his company. We plan on going for a short run, about 2 miles, just for fun tomorrow morning.
Have a wonderful evening, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...