I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Re-Alignment

I need a swift kick in the behind asap. My running has been off, my eating habits have been off, and therefore I am not feeling my best. Now, granted it has been fun to take time off, but I do miss the discipline and the joy I get from great runs and feeling healthy. This is not to say I am going cold turkey on relaxation or good food, but I have been over-indulging and under-moving. A little while back I did a post on apple picking (caramel covered oxymoron) where I explained the numerous doughnuts and other treats I got to enjoy, then there were some trips we took where dining out and dessert was very much included...then this past weekend we had a costume party (pictures to come!) with lots of goodies and also visited Amish country yesterday; menu included: broasted chicken, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, salad bar, bread, noodles, fruit, chocolate, ice cream, cookies, ah! Very delicious, but also feeling a bit heavy these last couple of weeks.

(DISCLAIMER: although we did eat lots of rich foods, I was able to pick up some fresh items and great pastry flour from a local market in town...just to save a few dignity points)

I have also been struggling with my running. The last 5 mile I did was a week ago and it wasn't even consecutive. Since then I have had great gym workouts but even my short (3 mile) runs have been rough! My chest gives out quickly and I cannot seem to get my breathing down. I am not sure if I need to stretch more or if it has to do with what I am eating but I need to kick it up a few notches. I also let myself down this past week and took 2 days off from running that I shouldn't have. I just read a blog post from one of my favorite blogs (runsforcookies) and she just completed a marathon today. This is inspiration to continue to work hard in getting back my running legs. I also spoke to a running friend and he gave me some advice- get another goal. After a race it is hard to have the same mindset as when training. So, I am planning on starting off slow just to get my distance back then work on speed again.

Just for fun here is a recipe I made last weekend for breakfast...indulgent but still has several healthy benefits, enjoy!

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes

2 cups whole wheat flour (the pumpkin covers this up so it's not even noticeable!)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk (I used 1%)
1 to 1 1/3 cups pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil


 
 
It is a pretty thick batter and they rise really well. They are not too sweet and have a great texture. I do not care for syrup on my pancakes, but my husband used maple and loved it. Yum :)

Here's to a wonderful start to the week, xoxo.


PS: what do you do to encourage yourself to get back into an exercise routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...