I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Monday, November 12, 2012

Preheat Your Ovens!

Today's post is going to be gluttonous. It's all about food, okay only lunch and dessert. I am going to share with you what I had for dessert last night and what I ate for lunch today.

On The Menu:
  • Spinach and Tomato "Fancy" Grilled Cheese
  • Yogurt Parfait
  • Popped Chips-Parmesan Garlic
  • Homemade Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
The lunch portion of this is pretty simple, I know. But, it is also pretty delicious. My ingredients included: Aunt Millie's Light Whole Grain Bread (2 slices), Flax seed Oil Butter Spread (1/2 tablespoon worked for me), a couple slices of deli turkey, 1 slice low fat provolone cheese, 1 thinly sliced piece of muenster cheese, good handful of fresh baby spinach, 1 or 2 slices large tomato, basil.
I buttered the slices of bread lightly, placed the provolone down first, then the spinach, tomato, turkey, and muenster cheese. I topped it off with the other slice of bread and sprinkled with a fair amount of basil. Toasted each side until lightly browned- I don't like my grilled cheese very dark :)




Now, for the parfait I used: Dannon Greek Yogurt 0% Vanilla, 1/2 cup of frozen berries and banana slices, and 1/4 cup of natural granola (I used Black Lab Naturals Peanut Crunch Granola that I bought while in Amish Country. It is lower in calories because of the few ingredients used, but is still the most delicious granola I have ever eaten). I seriously have a yogurt parfait everyday, it is out of control! I am just addicted, but I think there could be worse addictions...ice cream? Shoot.

On to dessert! I made this on Saturday, and it was a hit. As I mentioned in an earlier post I started with a recipe from allrecipes.com called "Black Magic Cake" and then made it my own concoction. (I also cut the original measurements in half in order to make a smaller, single layer cake). Here's what you'll need:

3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup sugar (I have thought about only adding 3/4 cup, but have not tested this yet)
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
small 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup strong black coffee (just adds moisture, is not overpowering in the flavor)
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (I did not have buttermilk so I used a container of vanilla Greek yogurt and it was wonderful!)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease square or loaf baking pan. Combine all dry ingredients, mix and then make a well. Add wet ingredients into bowl and mix thoroughly until smooth. The batter is going to be on the thin side, but do not be alarmed, it bakes up great. Pour batter into pan(s) and bake for 35-40 minutes. Take the toothpick test, and if it comes out clean then let cool completely before adding frosting. It is very moist and delicious without any topping, but cream cheese frosting was our favorite (we also added chopped dark chocolate on top). Enjoy!


And, if you are curious...Lunch came in at around 500 calories, while the cake (without toppings) is less than 150 calories for a very decent sized slice.
I know, I should probably go run after this, but it is so gross outside. A cold front came back through and it is windy and wet. Stop whining Allison. I will do something I just don't know what that something will be yet ;)

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...