I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dinner and an Outfit

Please don't be mad. I know I have been m.i.a. for a week now and that is totally inexcusable. I should have been working on my blog when all I could do was lay in bed and sniffle. Isn't that silly? You'd think when you're sick you would catch up on the things that don't take a lot of physical effort, but still all I wanted to do was be in my pj's, eat fruit, and watch Hulu. Anyways, that's not a good topic for an interesting blog post, so let me share with you a quick-easy-healthy dinner idea AND an outfit...I know I am totally over-doing it ;)

First, this "recipe" is a mash up of some yummy ingredients and is pretty simple.
 
You will need:

vegetable oil, 1/2 tablespoon
uncooked quinoa, 1/4 to 1/2 cup
vegetable or chicken broth, 1 can (I used most of the can)
1/4 large onion chopped
garlic powder or 1 clove garlic
frozen corn, 1/2 to 2/3 cup
black beans, 1/2 cup
fresh cilantro chopped (I just added more till it smelled about right!) 
cumin, 1 teaspoon
salt and pepper to taste

Pour oil into heated skillet and brown the onions with the garlic for a few minutes. Place the quinoa into the pan and pour the needed amount of broth over mixture. Add the cumin, salt, and pepper then bring to a boil. Let simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the frozen corn, let simmer for a few minutes then add black beans and cilantro, stirring occasionally.
 




*I served mine with a smidge of light sour cream and some delicious salsa. You don't need those add-on's, especially if you throw in some cayenne powder, but they make it extra good :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, this outfit might seem a little chilly for "almost winter" weather, but darn it I love fall so I will hold onto it for as long as I please...until it snows. The skirt is a handmade bleached denim mini via Mosaic, blouse is vintage (I call it the hippie top) from my mom- you can't see it too well in the photos, but the lace detailing on this is so pretty, the vest is just a simple find from rue 21 via Mosaic, the heart necklace is my mom's from the 80s and the copper chains are via Mosaic and are a super neat piece. I paired the outfit with some distressed brown booties and some high knit stockings. Enjoy!
(PS: whole outfit is under $50!!)






Goodnight and talk to you soon! I have a fun story about a run this past Saturday; it involves squirrels... xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...