I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Friday, February 8, 2013

Can't Pace This

First, I apologize for the title of this blog, and no, I could not help myself. I am not even sure if it makes a whole lot of sense, but I went with my gut.

This morning I went to the gym ready to have a great 5 mile run. Then I weighed myself. I was up 6 lbs. from my "healthy" weight. Bummer yes? YES! I used to never weigh myself, but now I do here and there just to keep tabs, or something like that. I really have not changed anything about my diet, and I have even added some yoga and interval work into my exercise routines. I had seen a slight gain the past couple of weeks and blamed it on "lady water weight." (You know that one week a month women should not weigh themselves).  Well, 3 weeks later and it went up another pound or two. Disappointed, I decided to run 6 miles and then do my normal lifting and core workout. I am trying not get too upset about it and I will keep an eye on my weight, but I said a prayer this morning that I would not obsess about it. Not to leave out...I went to DQ last night and the portion they gave me was very, very generous, and so not to be rude I of course ate it all. But, it was worth it. I do not indulge there that often and I had a blast with some girlfriends. Just what the crazy doctor ordered.

Another point of this post, I promise there is a real one, is about pacing. I have been trying to increase my speed for a while now and was doing a steady job (PR'ing my 5k race time), but I kinda pooped out. My muscles were getting a little achy and knotted and I even took yesterday off (I had 4 miles scheduled). So, today I went on the treadmill, put up the incline a smidge, and set my pace at 9:13. This is usually a little slower than I start with, but I ended with about a 9 min/mile pace which is fine and I felt good. I was sweating, my heartbeat was up, but my muscles felt stretched. Not every run has to be your hardest intensity, and I am learning that your (my) body responds better when I let it "rest" when it needs to rest, and push myself when I know I need to or can. (PS: I ran the last mile on the track after my upper body and core workouts with about a 9 minute/mile pace again).

I hope your week is going smoothly. And, please, do not be crazy like me and get scale obsessed. I am guessing this is just a phase, and I still stick to my motto that it is more important to FEEL good, be HEALTHY, and COMFORTABLE in your own skin and clothes.

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...