I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Monday, February 18, 2013

Patience, Procrastination, and Other Things On My Mind

Bear with me.

The dictionary definition of patience is: The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.

The dictionary definition of procrastination is: The act of putting off, delaying or deferring an action to a later time.

Both of these nouns require some sort of change to take place right? I mean if nothing in our lives changed then we would not know the feeling of waiting for something to occur...or the sensation of holding off on an action or task until a later time. For instance, in school, if there were not varying assignments or demanding exams then how would we become better students? In the work place...an employee may only grow: 1. If they so desire & 2. If they come upon changes in which they learn from (I.E. more about the company, owner, procedures, tactics).

We cannot know the pleasant, happy, bad, sad, emotional, worrisome, amazing, breathtaking if there is no change. But, sometimes it absolutely positively sucks. stinks. However you would prefer to describe these negative impacts. As stated before though, are they really negative? I will let you in on something personal. Since I got married, and my husband and I have our first place together, I have become somewhat particular about making the house look nice. We both have put a lot of time in fixing the place up and I have taken a huge liking to adding sweet and unique touches to make it our own, warm, and fun! Jake, the husband in this illustration, does not care quite as much. Now, let me be sure to give him credit deserved. He is absolutely wonderful about helping out and doing household favors when needed, but he does not have that same "passion" about making our home look, what I might say, pretty. I enjoy having the pillows on the couch instead of strewn around the room, crumbs (a lot of them of course) not ALL over our kitchen table, and his idea of a nightstand is a plastic bin by his bed with books and receipts all over it. I understand that I am in the wrong at times and probably do not realize it many instances. I know the house does not need to be spotless all the time and chores can be taken one at a time. But, tonight we had a "flitter" when I mentioned that our new nightstands we got were not even visible because he had 'stuff' covering his. Then came a couple snarky comments and not much after that. We are fine, of course, but just because our blood did not boil doesn't mean it didn't get a little warm.

Back to the patience and procrastination. Everyone has issues with both. No, do not raise your hand, you do. Just kidding, but really, impatience and practicing procrastination are too common. Better than many addictions I might add...but even easier to treat. I had to reality check myself and learn I need to be more patient with my husband. This is our FIRST place, it is not going to look like a Pinterest ad campaign. Also, he tends, and I am quoting him here, to procrastinate at a gold level. These two definitions come eerily close to one another. They both contain waiting; both take time; and both are negative and positive. WHAT!? Procrastination can be a positive? Yes, yes it can. When you tend to not give yourself a break (EX: keep working out when you are sick, no "me" time, or nit-picking your home's appearance) then it is time for what I have now deemed: Positively Procrastinating. Yes, readers, another corny title :) You are welcome...or I am sorry.

Thank you for letting me ramble, it is healthy now and then. If you have any thoughts you would like to spew share, please, you are more than welcome to. Just remember, don't be so hard on yourself...and especially those you want to keep around- there are so many more important priorities (get it, another 'P' word)....xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...