I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Friday, July 19, 2013

Devotional Turned Runvotional

Yes, I did come up with that title all on my own. 

But, seriously, I have some encouraging news to share with you! Whether you run, walk, have a demanding job, kids, bike, swim, anything!...This post is about determination and why it never goes away even when we feel like we have failed.

Here is the devotional (via my Dad) that prompted this post:
...................................................................................................................................................................

July 19

Getting Back on Course

2 Peter 3:17-18

No matter how far away from God you have drifted, you're always welcome back. That's the lesson from Jesus' parable about the prodigal son--the foolish boy who followed a pleasure-filled path to ruin before returning to his father and finding redemption (Luke 15:11-32). Perhaps ruin has not yet come to you, but you know that your heart has grown cool to the things of God. Whatever your drifting story, make this the day that you point yourself back to the Lord.

As with any sin, the first motion toward getting back on course is to acknowledge that you have slipped away from the Lord. Then you confess and repent, which is like turning your boat in the opposite direction and paddling toward God with all your strength. If you're wondering exactly how to do that, I suggest a strategy I use every morning. Before I step out of bed, I give myself to God by acknowledging, I surrender my entire life to You for this day. When something comes up that runs counter to His plan and I consider pursuing it, the Holy Spirit reminds me that I am not my own. Only God's way will do for me.

Every day we choose whether to row or drift. As for me, I choose to vigorously pursue God.

Peter gives a warning to be on guard against attitudes and ideologies that would carry you away from truth (2 Peter 3:17). Instead, choose to paddle your lifeboat toward the Lord by meditating on Scripture, praying, and living obediently. Practicing the spiritual disciplines keeps a
heart warm toward God.

...................................................................................................................................................................

Lately I have seen my pace slow (I know in part due to the super warm weather) but also because I have not been as consistent with my training and diet. So, I renewed my gym membership so I would not have an excuse to strength train, cross train, and run inside if need be. I just go 2-3 times per week and run outside or bike the other days. It has only been a couple weeks but I want to feel myself "Getting Back on Course." I got a little freaked out when I saw a substantial amount of unwanted lbs. pop up, but I have to remember that those are not everything. I know I am gaining some of my 'old' muscle back and I also KNOW I need to make better diet choices to enhance my workouts and overall health/energy levels. 

Just like God will always welcome us back with open arms, our bodies are always ready for healthy habits or lifestyle changes. It is never too late to either begin these practices or return to them. As discouraging as weight gain, slower paces, or shorter distances may be they do not own us. Just like you accomplished something before, it is possible again. 

The 'sin' in this scenario might be food (too big of portions, not the right choices) or lack of determination. Does God turn away when we sin? Uhhh, no, because if He did we would all be feeling a lot more lost right now. He actually opens His arms wider when we are wandering without Him. Our bodies and our minds crave a healthy lifestyle. It does not mean we won't "flub" here and there, and it also does not mean we cannot enjoy food- that's just ridiculous! What it does mean is that you always have the power to surpass what you thought your potential was...you have all the abilities in the world to get to where you are proud of yourself.

There will be days better than others. There are days I am a more loving wife...there are days I am a more loyal friend...there are days I am a better listener. There are also days I workout harder...drink more water...am proud of my food choices. Each day is new- so treat your body and mind the same. Each day is an opportunity, don't get down on yourself for what may have happened before, get ready and excited about what is to come. Plus, they say stress makes the body hold onto fat more anyways ;)


Now, GO HAVE A   FANTASTIC day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...