I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else -C.S. Lewis

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Humidity

Shew Whee, is an understatement. Humidity kills when you are lazy and don't get out of the door till 10:30 a.m. for a long run. Oops, that's my fault isn't it...

Well that's my story. Yesterday my husband and I got a surprise and both had the day off. So, we had breakfast together (along with Monroe) and I didn't even think about running till 10. At that point I knew it was humid from taking Monroe outside a couple of times. I rambled on about this idea that "well you know sometimes runners just take off a week and run easy and let their joints rest," but I knew once I got out there I would kick my butt up a few gears. I had only drank two glasses of water and a cup of coffee before leaving to run, which only lasted me 3 miles before I had to stop for water. I had 3 total water stops during my 8 mile run/2 mile walk trek drag. Haha, but really, I did enjoy myself. As weird or gross as it may sound the feeling of being outside drenched in sweat and moving even though your body wants to stop is a fulfilling experience. (Which lasts until you step inside, then it just feels nasty). My pace pleasantly surprised me at 9:17 min/mile. 

One of my favorite parts of the run was during a stretch in some gorgeous woods along the trail. There was no one else in close proximity so I took out my ear buds and just enjoyed the shade. The breeze sounded beautiful coming through the trees and the only other noise were some birds chirping here and there. It calmed me even though I had been running for an hour in some mean heat. These are moments that I can say I run for. I even had the opportunity to spot two dear and one had their little one with them, too sweet. Also, these little periwinkle colored "mini" butterflies kept flying all around me, I have to admit it made me feel pretty magical ;) Never take these moments for granted, these are the moments that not only bring life to a run but prove time and again God's glory and love for beauty. He is full of surprises.

When I finished mile 7 I spotted Jake walking towards me (he said he would meet me on the trail) and he had run some but we walked together for a mile or so. It was hot. So, I did not mind the walk break. We got some water at the next fountain- he sprayed me with the dog fountain, of course, and then we got back on track. Jake kept walking (he is still new to running, so I give him credit for just coming out in this silly weather) and I ran my last mile. I ran about .70 out and ran the last .30 back to him. We then walked the last 2 miles back home, keeping a steady pace. I even embarrassed him and pulled out the power walking arms. 

Despite the heat and me skipping running on Monday (I did yoga instead) it was a really fun run. I always enjoy the solitude the trail brings and it always clears my head. Being an 'Anxious Annie,' any time I can get my mind to settle I take it! I hope you enjoy any activities you have planned, but PLEASE be careful in this kind of heat/humidity and listen to your body's signals.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...